On the northwestern corner of the intersection of Loudon Avenue and North Limestone stands 101 West Loudon, a structure added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2014. It was originally constructed in 1928.
In the 1920s, the North End witnessed a decline in its passenger rail traffic, and was able to capitalize on the increasing popularity of automobile motorbus traffic. The Consolidated Coach Corporation, an entity incorporated in Lexington in 1926, quickly became a leader in the industry with lines running as far north as Minnesota (the birthplace of Greyhound) and throughout the southeast, all the way to Florida. In 1936, the entity renamed itself the Southeast Greyhound Line. Although the local depot was located on East Short Street just past Walnut Street (now, Martin Luther King Blvd.), the company’s administrative offices and maintenance facilities were located at 101 West Loudon.
In fact, during the 1940s, Southeast Greyhound was Lexington’s single largest private employer. Beginning in 1951, the Southeast Greyhound was, as an entity, absorbed into the Greyhound company, but the company would remain the subsidiary’s headquarters throughout the decade. It would be abandoned, however, in 1960, during a corporate reorganization. As discussed above, the city of Lexington assumed control of local bus transit in 1972. That year, the city acquired the old Southeast Greyhound property for its use, and the property went to Lexington’s transit authority, now known as Lextran.
The building itself is, per its National Register application, in the “muted Art Deco” style “with few overt decorative features,” its most prominent being “a large diamond-shaped panel” which serves as “the building’s visual climax atop the central bay of the front façade.” (Williams).