The transition from streetcar and interurban to automobile was accompanied by continued improvement of the roadbed itself. In 1909, the Joint Improvement Committee of Lexington and Fayette County to recommended that “pavements on North Limestone from Third Street to the city limits” be laid. (Lexington Leader: May 21, 1909). To accomplish this, the committee would order some 800,000 brick from the Peebles Brick Company of Portsmouth, Ohio. The work was carried on block-by-block, accompanied with the removal of the track of the Lexington Street Railway Company. The job was completed within a year.
As a result of these infrastructure improvements, residential development followed close behind. Suburban lots in Highlawn, a neighborhood on North Limestone beyond the city limits, were in great demand in the early 1910s. Churches, schools, and commerce followed the new residents. In the 1930s, Avondale’s “beautiful new homes” became available in “one of Lexington’s newest and most promising additions” which was located “on North Limestone street near Loudon Avenue [and] runs through” to Bryan Station.