Introduction

As was discussed in earlier sections regarding the “Frontier Highway,” access to transportation was essential for the North End’s growth. As technologies developed, the neighborhood kept pace, offering connectivity with the rest of Lexington and the region. This allowed neighbors to easily access goods and services across the city, and industries to be able to affordably bring in materials from throughout Central Kentucky.  

In 1882, Kentucky’s General Assembly authorized the incorporation of the Lexington City Railway Company so that horse-drawn streetcars could operate in Lexington. A month later, the city approved the company’s operation and set forth restrictions for where and how the streetcars were to operate. On authorized roads, including Mulberry (Limestone) to the city limits, the company could erect single tracks whereupon it could operate registered and numbered cars with customer fares fixed at five cents. These lines were extended and improved throughout the 1880s providing mule-drawn access for Lexingtonians to the cemetery, the fairgrounds, the university, Woodland Park and destinations in between.